Re: [RDA-L] Automatically adding relationship designators (was Cost of Retrospective Conversion for Legacy Data…)

Posting to RDA-L

On 12/12/2013 12:12 AM, Kevin M Randall wrote:

<snip>
This statement proves the point that you do not understand what the FRBR tasks are. The FRBR tasks are not “methods”. They are objectives.  Relevance ranking and algorithmic connections are examples of methods which are used to accomplish the user tasks. The statement you made is as nonsensical as saying “People don’t like to travel from Los Angeles to New York. They would rather take an airplane.”
</snip>

I don’t understand your reasoning here, but I guess it is yet another example of the feebleness of my intellect–which, as is well-known, is proven by my disagreeing with the FRBR/RDA library gods. By focusing on me, there is no need to address the problems of whether users actually want the user tasks (by the way, no matter how stupid I may be, whether people want to do those things so desperately still remains unproven and quite obviously, is a question that cannot be asked or you will be pilloried for it) or the question of how much implementing FRBR/RDA will ultimately cost. The costs are already beyond many libraries. But of course, all of those issues are so irrelevant they can just be ignored.

I have grown weary of the personal attacks and so will not answer any of those for awhile.

One point of substance however:

<snip>
The OLAC Movie & Video Credit Annotation Experiment which you decried is addressing exactly this point. As they say: “Eventually, we intend to automate most of this conversion. For now, we need help from human volunteers, who can train our software to recognize the many ways names and roles have been listed in library records for movies.”
</snip>

I didn’t “decry” the project at all. I merely asked the question that would pop into the head of any 5 or 6 year old child: “Why not Google it?” So I did and the results were very, very good–at least as good as any library catalog could ever hope to offer. So then I asked another natural question: what is the purpose of the project? I am not decrying anything but asking some very natural questions.

I mentioned that if it is considered an experiment, everything is fine and perhaps we could learn something from it. To be more specific now: since the film roles already exist in Wikipedia and IMDB, they could serve as “control groups” to help estimate how accurate any automatic conversions would be, how much manual cleanup would be needed and how much everything would cost. The results may be applicable to other materials.

In the specific case of films, for the final result however, it would seem much more efficient to use the information that already exists by implementing the APIs. Otherwise it would quite clearly be duplicating what already exists.

-250

Share