13 Comments

1. Anonymous said:

Thank you for such a thought provoking paper! I am not a cataloger but am the Head of Technical Services. This paper really hit home to what we're dealing with at my library. I am recommending it to everyone because I think it is exactly what libraries need to start thinking about, what users really want.

February 20, 2012
  2. Anonymous said:

Thank you for this! I will take a bit of it and push it further down the pipe: bit.ly/sonaa

February 20, 2012
  3. Thanks so much both of you! Please consider share any comments you may have (somehow!) since it would help all of us so much during such a difficult moment.

February 21, 2012
  4. said:

I believe the keyword is involvement in the environment which is creating value – you name it, being different from country to country.<br />Involvement means continuous adaptation of the skill set to what is being readily available (software, methods, means of exploration).<br />Abandoning laziness and taken the path of active involvement in projects, idea development, data management,

February 21, 2012
  5. Clément Tremblay said:

Hello James,<br /><br />I love the section about CIP but I do feel a bit let down that you weren&#39;t more explicit about what you envision microdata to be. But, I know, maybe your audience wasn&#39;t ready for it! In any case, I would like to throw in my two-cent&#39;s worth about what an opportunity we&#39;re missing – at this crucial time – by not moving the CIP data fully into the

February 21, 2012
  6. Wow! I hadn&#39;t thought of using CIP like this. It seems as if it could be a great resource for a publisher/author to do all kinds of other tasks.<br /><br />I also agree that the importance of description will probably diminish in the future and I only hope that classification/subject assignment will take its place. This area potentially offers one of the most exciting areas for development

February 21, 2012
  7. said:

Jim,<br /><br />You did another paper recently in S. America somewhere… Could you provide a link to that here as well?<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Nathan

March 1, 2012
  8. Dana Caudle said:

I believe the future lies in making our metadata linked data that machines can manipulate behind the scenes to make whatever connections the user wants to make. Bibliographic records would be created on the fly from their component parts which could be linked together such as in your call number example. RDA is supposed to facilitate the transition to linked data but right now it is very much

July 11, 2012
  9. said:

Is there a way to get this in a more printer-friendly format for those of us who can&#39;t read long articles online?

December 17, 2012
  10. Thanks for mentioning that since I haven&#39;t been aware it&#39;s a problem. If you go to <a href="http://www.printfriendly.com/&quot; rel="nofollow">PrintFriendly.com</a> and enter the URL of this page, it will give you a nicely formatted page you can print. <br /><br />There is supposed to be a widget to allow this with just a button click, but I can&#39;t get it to go right now.<br /><br />Again,

December 17, 2012
  11. said:

Thanks James! I didn&#39;t know about PrintFriendly.com. Very useful, and now bookmarked for future use.

December 17, 2012