13 Comments

1. Rachel Marsh said:

Hi Jim, thanks for getting over your shyness and poscasting for the first time. I listened to your podcast while doing a routine task that would ordinarily be a bit boring. A podcast takes your mind off the routine and allows you to learn new stuff at the same time. Thanks to you I got my task done and now know know a bit more about RDA and FRBR: two for the price of one!

August 4, 2010
  2. Bryan said:

Jim, what's the music at the beginning and end of the podcast?

August 4, 2010
  3. Ruth A. Light said:

First, I&#39;d like to show my appreciation for actually transcribing the contents of the podcast into the blog post. I know there will be times when I&#39;m not in a good situation to listen, but reading is fine–this gives both options. I hope you will continue doing both.<br /><br />I found the topic of the current podcast interesting, and would like to hear more of your views on FRBR rather

August 4, 2010
  4. It&#39;s &quot;Libertango&quot; performed by Antonio Sacco on his open source album &quot;Musica in Ospedale&quot; or &quot;Music in the Hospital&quot;.

August 4, 2010
  5. Susan said:

I very much enjoyed this podcast. I also appreciated having the blog there for reference and hope you continue to post both WHEN you release your second podcast.<br />I would also like to have your take on FRBR (not ferber!). I am still struggling to understand the concept and I think almost have it. FRBR would be a perfect segue into podcast #2!

August 4, 2010
  6. Julie Huskey said:

Interesting podcast. I look forward to a second installment.<br /><br />I appreciated the transcript; it made it easier to focus my attention.

August 4, 2010
  7. Anonymous said:

Thanks, this is great. I am a web developer working at CWRU&#39;s Kelvin Smith Library. Not being formally, or very much informally for that matter, trained in library science and etc., I am interested in learning what librarians see as the real problems that need addressed. I&#39;m also interested in hearing more about what you alluded to as happening all around us.

August 4, 2010
  8. Ling said:

Enjoyed your speaking very much and really appreciated the transcript. I started to self-learn FRBR and RDA recently, and also wondering what RDA will bring to libraries. Look forward to your opinions.

August 4, 2010
  9. Jessica Nhem said:

I am on the RDA listserv, so I got an email about this. I often don&#39;t open all of the emails from that listserv, but I am glad I did for this one.<br /><br />I really enjoyed the podcast and your comments. <br /><br />Keep them coming!

August 6, 2010
  10. Ron Murray said:

Hello Jim: <br /><br />If you want some nice imagery to inspire your podcasts, have a look at my slideshow at http://www.slideshare.net/RonMurray/from-mobydick-to-mashups<br /><br />The slides are intended to be talked around instead of read out loud, and the images comment-worthy too. Do notice the citations slipped in here and there, please. <br /><br />You won&#39;t find another FRBR talk that

September 15, 2010
  11. Ron Murray said:

Think of RDA as a set of &quot;business rules&quot; that catalogers follow when describing resources.<br /><br />The large-scale result of catalogers following these rules (as a well-trained &quot;crowd&quot;) at a global level is the construction of a rather interesting and sophisticated resource description network – but this large-scale result is not visible at the &quot;follow this rule, now&

September 15, 2010
  12. To Ron Murray,<br />Thanks for the comment, but I must confess I do not understand what you mean. Please explain the really interesting parts, which I suspect you mean are the areas *outside* the traditional catalog, such as reviews, blog entries, videos, perhaps even syllabi and open course materials.<br /><br />This would be fine, but I still don&#39;t see why we need FRBR to do it. Changing

September 15, 2010
  13. Anonymous said:

Good thing you don&#39;t have any friends whose last name is &quot;Ferber.&quot; I do, and I don&#39;t think it sounds ugly!

August 12, 2011